Madison Fire Department officials said a squirrel may have played a role in a solar panel fire that occurred at a home Monday afternoon on the city’s far east side

just before 2:45 p.m. Smoke and flames could be seen coming from a solar panel on the roof of the home

Crews shut off power to the panels they quickly extinguished the flames. The fire was confined to the panel and some shingles, and officials said it didn’t extend to the home.

MG&E and the solar panel company responded to the scene.

Officials said the fire was caused by the radiant heat of the panel.

As crews were putting out the fire, they saw a squirrel run out from under one of the panels. Officials said the animal may have been a contributing factor with the fire.


Maybe, possibly, probably


Sign up for a weekly digest of solar industry news, delivered to your inbox every Tuesday.